Sunday 1 July 2012

Week 3: Keeping Faith

It can always be hard when starting a new training programme, especially when following a month off.

I have certainly found this over the last three weeks since I started training for the Loch Ness Marathon. Although I have managed to cope well with the high mileage my speed work has not been where I would like it to be and I have to admit that it has started to get me down slightly. It is definitely demoralising to complete mile reps or kilometre reps 20-30secs slower than when you were doing them earlier in the year, as I have been doing this last couple of weeks and this week especially.
It’s also difficult to see all my training mates running and racing superbly. I don't resent their pace or success at all, in fact I am proud of the gang! I just wish I was up there with them, as I was before London. I am trying to use them as motivation now. Today Dan and Colin ran the Arran Half Marathon in sub 73mins- which on an undulating course like that is outstanding!
The good thing for me is Garry (coach) has been good at making me see sense. He has made it quite clear that after a month off and returning to high mileage so quickly I was always bound to be tired and less fresh for each speed session, and so slower. I am also doing three speed sessions a week at the moment, which is more than I was doing in the build up to London. It makes sense that I am tired and my reps are slower, but it is just hard for the mind to take!
I need to keep faith with my plan and that as my body adapts to the high training levels the speed will return too.

The fact that my body is quite happy running high mileage is a massive plus and physically I feel great. I don't have any niggles (although, as I type this I have had a tight hamstring for most of the day!) or sore spots. This week I hit 92miles, which is a huge week in terms of mileage. I've got two more of these high mileage weeks before a slightly easier one, which ends with the 10k in Musselburgh, where hopefully I will start to see some speed.

Training: 23rd - 29th June

Saturday 23rd – Felt tired again today, but managed an easy 10 in 69mins. Not bad as it was very windy down at Cramond. 10 Miles
Sunday 24th – 2mile Easy, 2x2mile Tempo 2min rest, 1hour E, 3mile Tempo, 2mile E  (5.59;6.03/ 5.57;6.07/ 6.03;6.17;6.15 - was really pleased with the 2x2mile tempo reps - a lot quicker than I was expecting and a lot quicker than the same miles as last week. Did feel pretty tired afterwards and the last 3mile tempo effort was a little bit disappointing, as I was hoping to get all three of them under 6mins. Still a good session and glad to have finished it. 20 Miles
Monday 25th – 5m AM - easy running; 8M PM- ran to Abs class, did another tough Abs class and then ran home. Felt pretty good. 13 Miles
Tuesday 26th – 4m AM - very easy running, but felt quite tired today. Track PM: 7*1mile with 60-70secs recovery: 5.29; 5.28; 5.25; 5.27; 5.31; 5.33; 5.27 - was a little bit frustrated after the session as I was hoping to be 5-10secs per rep quicker. I felt okay from an endurance side of things, but just didn't seem to have much speed. Obviously the recent high mileage and return to running is having an effect. I am also 4.5kg heavy than I was before holiday and so I MUST lose that weight. Garry seems pleased, so I am not too disappointed. 17 Miles
Wednesday 27th – 5m - AM - easy running - felt a bit stiff and sore in places after yesterday's hard session 5m PM - easy run home, but did start to feel pretty good for the last 3miles, so happy with that. 10 Miles
Thursday 28th – 2mile E, 8x1k Interval pace 2min E rec. 2mile E- Reps- 3.28; 3.29; 3.28; 3.24; 3.29; 3.28; 3,29; 3.31 - was a very warm and breezy evening. I felt okay when I started, but I just had no pace whatsoever. I felt pretty fed up after the first rep and it was a mental battle just to start the second one. I was really pleased that I finished the session and that I remained consistent throughout. If nothing else it means I have endurance if not speed at the moment. 12 Miles

Friday 29th – 10mile run in the morning in 69mins. Felt okay, easy run. 10 Miles

Weekly Total: 92  Miles

1 comment:

  1. Hiya! I am so excited to find out if you have a lot of subscribers to this blogging resource?

    ReplyDelete