Wednesday 25 August 2010

23-25 August: Getting back into it!

Monday 23: 13.25 miles (AM: 3.75 PM: 9.5)
Tuesday 24: 17.5 miles (AM: 3.75 PM: 13.75)
Wednesday 25: 12.5 miles (AM: 3.75 PM: 8.75)

It's always tough getting back into training after a race, especially one that you have put a fair bit of effort into and tapered for. It's certainly been tough for me since Saturday's race in Nairn. With Amsterdam now less than 8 weeks away I need to maintain my high level of training to ensure that I am in the best shape possible for the marathon. My 16 mile run on Sunday was pretty tough going the day after Nairn, but thankfully it was along the Moray Firth coastline and the sun was out, so it was both scenic and full of fresh air. Not like Monday, which was very tough, getting up before work and taking those weary steps up the road on my morning run under dark gray clouds, a stiff breeze and a cold air. My legs were still sore and stiff from the race and I would have given quite a bit to be back in bed watching the West Wing with a cup of coffee. 

I think this post race period is a really difficult time for training, where it would be easy for me to back off and take it easy for a couple of weeks believing it will be okay and I will get back into it before the marathon. I need to keep motivated and keep working hard. I have adjusted my training to reflect feeling a little bit tired after Nairn, but I have tried to maintain the quality I need to keep improving. On Tuesday, I was meant to be doing 10 one mile reps with 2 minutes recovery at faster than half marathon pace, but my legs still didn't feel that strong or fresh, so I decided to run a 13 mile fartlek home. In the fartlek I did five 2 mile reps with 2 minutes recovery at slightly faster than my planned marathon pace (around 6 minute mile pace). It wasn't quite as intense as doing mile reps, but was still a good training session for my marathon and covered the same distance as my planned mile reps. I actually felt really good after my session on Tuesday and was really pleased with my efforts, which were all exactly where I wanted them to be. It gave me some confidence that I will be back training at full steam by the end of the week.

Today I had a deep tissue massage to help with my recovery from Nairn and to help prepare my body for this next period of tough training for my marathon, as I am moving back to 100 mile weeks. That was also pretty hard going and as I sit here typing this most parts of my legs are aching a little bit. Hopefully I will be fine to do some more intense training tomorrow. I will be missing running club tomorrow, so unfortunately will have to do the session on my own. That is always difficult, as I miss running with my club mates. I will definitely be back at club on Saturday and Sunday to draw on their strength as we do intervals and then the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment