Thursday 5 August 2010

Thursday 5 August 2010: Meadows and dodging tourists

Mileage: 16.5 miles

AM: 3.75 miles PM 12.75 miles (including club session)

I was certainly feeling up for tonight's session in the Meadows and my legs felt good as I took the short half mile jog from my work to the usual meeting point. It was another warm night and there wasn't much of breeze kicking about to keep us cool. Bryan was back from his holiday tonight, so with Dan, Ben and Neil we formed a pretty useful group. Colin turned up on his bike, but wasn't running. He finished 4th in the North Berwick Law Hill Race yesterday, so wasn't going to push it on tired legs. There was a trophy for the first EAC finisher in the race, which Colin was, so I think he was up looking for his trophy, which Alex promised next week. 

Tonight's session was a pretty tough one, 6 four minute efforts at faster than 10k pace, with a 3 minute recovery, which sounds a lot, but was not a static recovery as we had to maintain a steady pace and keep ticking over in between reps, in fact when we weren't stopping for pee breaks our recoveries were all at around 7 minute mile pace for three minutes, so fairly good going. The heat was also a little sapping and a stiff breeze down the back of the Meadows wasn't much fun when we had to run hard down there.

It was hard going, however, we ran really well together taking it in turns to lead, which meant that we ran fairly consistently, especially for the first three reps. Things broke up a little bit on the fourth rep, when Neil took his turn to lead. Neil has been running super quick lately and went off like a rabbit, Bryan and I took off in pursuit, but we had little chance of actually catching him. Unfortunately Dan felt something pull in his right leg so pulled up and that was the end of his session. Neil finished off his rep and that was the end of the session for him too, as he is racing in the Scottish League 5000m at the weekend - sub 15.30 surely beckons! Ben, Bryan and I worked through the penultimate one together, which was pretty tough after Neil's rep. The final rep as always was a bit of a free for all and the three of us set off at pace. I went off way too quick, I guess I was quite keen to stay ahead or at least with Bryan who usually hits the front hard, I found myself clear and with a bit of gap with about 1.20 to go and I then realised that I had gone off too quickly, as I was really fighting to keep my legs going, but I managed to hold an even, if slight slower pace, till the end producing my fastest rep of the night. A good night's work.

This is what I did for my 4 minute reps: 

1) 0.73 miles 5.28 minute per mile pace
2) 0.73 miles 5.28 mpm pace
3) 0.73 miles 5.28 mpm pace
4) 0.75 miles 5.19 mpm pace
5) 0.74 miles 5.24 mpm pace
6) 0.78 miles 5.09 mpm pace

Again, I am pretty pleased overall, as that takes me to 56.5 miles for the week already and I am still feeling fairly fresh and strong.With a light running day planned tomorrow, I am fairly confident that I'll get through the weekend and achieve my second consecutive 100 mile week. Bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment