Tuesday 10 August 2010

Interview with US marathon and ultra-runner Mike Wardian

Mike Wardian is a US runner with an impressive record in standard and ultra marathons and has his eyes set on winning next year's Marathon Des Sables (MDS) . This year he finished a fantastic third place in the MDS, the best ever finish by a US runner in the competition. Endurance and determination are just two words that fit easily into any description of Mike, who in 2006 won 4 out of the 5 marathons he raced in a 45 day period. Some of his records have included the fastest marathon on a treadmill and fastest marathon pushing a jogging stroller and in July this year he broke the world record for fastest indoor marathon completing the effort by running 221 laps of a 200m track in 2hours 27 minutes and 21 seconds. With a marathon PB of 2hours 21 minutes he is clearly no slouch and he hopes to improve on that and qualify for the 2012 Olympics in London.

He has also taken on many of the world's toughest and longest races. Some of the notable ultra-marathons he has completed include the Marathon Des Sables, the Western States Endurance Run, the Himalayan 100 Mile Stage Race and the Vermont 100 Mile Endurance Run. This year he has already run 13 races over marathon distance.

What makes this all the more impressive is that Mike fits his training and racing around a full time job and being a full time parent. I contacted Mike by email and he very kindly agreed to take time out of his busy, busy life to answer some questions about ultra running and his experiences of finishing 3rd in this year's MDS. The MDS is 151 mile race ran over 6 stages in the Sahara desert in temperatures reaching up to 50c. Most stages are around 20 miles a day, although the 4th stage is a 45 mile run and the 5th is a standard 26.2 mile marathon.


What inspired you to be an ultra runner?

MRW: I wasn't inspired to be an ultra runner, I was just interested in seeing how far and fast I could run and eventually that led me to try the JFK 50 Miler and I really enjoyed it. (In 2007 he won the race)

How many miles a week do you train and what is your longest training run each week?

MRW: I try and run anywhere from 100-140 miles per week (I would like to do a 200 mile week at some point soon). I don't always make it but that is my goal and each week I try and run some longer runs but longest normally in training is 30 or so miles as a single run (I sometime double up on those days - do an extra run later in the day).


Did you develop any specific training sessions as part of your preparation for the MDS?

MRW: I did some specific pack training and would run to and from work with my backpack on and then again on my lunch run to get used to the weight.

I think I will do some more specific training for 2011 as I think there were somethings that I could definitely improve on.

What is your favorite training session?

MRW: I like every training session and have a lot of favorites but think my favorite run is just to hammer it out with friends. If you mean as specific workout, then probably, 6-10 x 1 mile, hard and when you are done, you feel spent.

What was the toughest part of the MDS this year and how did you get through it?

MRW: The toughest part of MDS was the 3rd day, I got too hot and about 5K from the finish crashed hard. I wasn't sure I could finish and I dropped from 2nd or 3rd to 4th but I lost about 1 hour on the leaders. That was rough and I got ill a few times, cooled down and then jogged it in. I learned a lot that day and I am thankful for the experience.


What's the most important piece of kit for the MDS?


MRW: Backpack, it is critical

What was you favourite food during the MDS?

MRW: Hmm, favourite food...by the last day, I would have eaten almost anything and everything tastes bad (RM - lots of MDS runners live off dried ration packs and boil in the bag food stuffs). Actually, I like dried mangos...those were key

How did you prepare for the heat?

MRW: I didn't really and that was in the past not a problem but this year it was so I plan to rectify that for next year. (This year the race was run in some of the hottest conditions with temperatures hitting 50c)


If you could give MDS newbies one bit of advice about the race what would it be?


MRW: Get a Backpack that you like and works for you.


What do you think is the key to being a successful marathoner/ ultra marathoner?


MRW: I think the biggest thing that can lead to success is to be consistent.


Do you have a quote, mantra or saying that inspires you during your running and races?

MRW: Time to Shine! It works for me.

Will you be back for the MDS in 2011 and after being on the podium last year do you think you can win?


MRW: I would like to be back to MDS for 2011 and yes, I think if I execute and have the right days come together that I can definitely win. I am as fit as any of those guys but during a race a long and tough as MDS you have to be really fit but also lucky and that takes putting yourself in a position to preform and I intend to do that.

To find out more about Mike check out his website: http://mikewardian.com/

Mike has a number of sponsors who support his running:

MarathonGuide.com (www.marathonguide.com)


The North Face (www.thenorthface.com)

PowerBar (www.powerbar.com)
The USA organizers for MDS (they rock-Lisa & Jay Batchen)
http://www.dreamchaserevents.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment